Doula Craft: Skill Building for Advanced Practice
Supporting Clients through High Risk Pregnancy, Birth, and Obstetric Emergencies
- November 4, 2018
- Early Bird Pricing: $155.00. After October 15th: $180.00. No refunds issued after October 28, 2018. Refunds will be issued less our processing fee.
MyBirth is excited to offer a new series of skill building, advance practice workshops for doulas that have already completed formal doula training and/or certification. In this one-day workshop, doulas will gain skills required to support clients through high risk pregnancy/birth, obstetric emergencies, and certain complications of childbirth. Learn how to confidently navigate these births in a meaningful, mindful way with confidence in your scope of practice, offering physical, emotional and informational support to clients.
This skill building workshop will include sessions: on medications, hospital procedures and protocols, taught by an experienced labor and delivery nurse; a working lunch facilitated by MyBirth doulas; exploring informed consent and informed refusal.
Topics covered will include:
- High Risk Pregnancy and Birth Scenarios: gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, pregnancy induced hypertension
- Induction of Labor
- Obstetric Emergencies: pre-term labor, cord prolapse, retained placenta, shoulder dystocia, hemorrhage, severe preeclampsia
- Emotional trauma - supporting clients, caring for ourselves
- Staying within your scope of practice as a doula
Emily Bruno, CPD - Emily is co-owner of MyBirth, a doula of 11 years (certified through toLabor), childbirth educator, former Chapter Leader of ICAN of Richmond.
Amy Lavelle, Ph.D., CPD - Amy is co-owner of MyBirth, a doula of seven years (certified through toLabor), childbirth educator, and holds a Ph.D in Genetics.
Karen Phillips Heath, BSN, RNC-OB - Karen is a labor and delivery nurse for seventeen years and is a former Critical Care nurse. She is certified in Inpatient Obstetrics since 2011.