All on-site classes meet in the MyBirth Community Studio at 1726 Altamont Ave. Suite 2, RVA 23230
Doula for Dad
Desmond Seymour, founder of Doula for Dad, is bringing his phenomenal workshop to Richmond, VA for one day only! This workshop is designed to give fathers and masculine folks the skills they need to assist their partners, and build connection during their child's prenatal stage. The workshop is $75, will be held April 14, 2018 from 9:30am-12:30pm.
A few words from Desmond:
"The philosophy behind Doula for Dad is simple: “If we uplift fathers, then we uplift families, and if we do that we uplift the world.”
At an early age, I had a partner whose pregnancy did not manifest, and that moment planted a seed in me that has grown into this company. My father was not perfect but he was a damn good one and that had a great affect on the trajectory of my life. The goal of Doula for Dad is to work with current and future fathers and male identifying parents from across our entire society, bring them together, and build better families.
Doula For Dad focuses on educating current and future fathers to include but not limited to bonding with baby in utero, learning skills to ease birthing process for pregnant bodied partners, basic sex education, supporting pregnant bodied partners, supporting current, future, and potential pregnant people, and building a community of fathers that will support one another nationwide.
My Doula journey has seen me trained through Ancient Song Doula Services, partnering with and learning from talented doulas across the U.S., and working with men and male identified individuals between the ages of 15 and 40."
To learn more, visit the Doula for Dad website: www.doulafordad.com
My Birth Class
- Four week series, three hours each class, totaling 12 hours
- A doula's guide to empowered, supported, evidence based birth practices, our original curriculum was created by the doulas of MyBirth and reflects our 20+ years of combined childbirth experience. With the MyBirth childbirth education class, you will gain a thorough understanding of the mechanics of birth, comfort measures for pregnancy and labor, how to remain active and be your own advocate, breastfeeding basics, what to expect postpartum, and adjusting to life with a new baby.
- Though geared towards achieving an unmedicated birth, we will also thoroughly cover common interventions/medications, family-centered cesareans, and how to be flexible when confronted with a new direction in your birth's trajectory.
- Class One: Your birth goals, nutrition and health, how our babies grow, how our bodies open, the stages of labor
- Class Two: Comfort measures for labor, helpful tips for laboring at home and in the hospital
- Class Three: Common interventions/procedures in pregnancy and birth, finding flexibility in birth, labor with an epidural, and family centered cesareans
- Class Four: Life with your newborn, feeding your baby, the physical and mental recovery after birth
- A fun, interactive class with multiple approaches to learning. We pride ourselves on engaging our students and insuring that the information is interesting, accessible, and easy to remember.
- Approach your birth with calm and confidence.
- Educational materials provided.
- Taught by Joy Brock, LCSW; Professional toLabor Doula, MyBirth Childbirth Educator
- $250 per couple
- January 9, 16, 23, 30 2018 from 6-9pm - Tuesday evenings
- February 4, 11, 18, 25 2018 from 5-8pm - Sunday evenings
- March 6, 13, 20 ,27 from 6-9pm - Tuesday evenings
- April 8, 15, 22, 29 from 5-8pm - Sunday evenings
- May 8, 15, 22, 29 from 6-9pm - Tuesday evenings
- June 3, 10, 17, 24 from 5-8pm - Sunday evenings
My Breastfeeding Class
- One day, three hour class
- A doula's guide to breastfeeding success. Taught by Melissa Yeager, a doula and CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator, this course was designed with the doulas of MyBirth to help avoid the "booby traps" of breastfeeding, with a large focus on the first three days, three weeks, and three months of nursing.
- The class will cover: mechanics of nursing and milk transfer, how to prepare for breastfeeding, getting a good start, steps to a good latch, how to protect against interruption/interference, breastfeeding booby traps, realities of breastfeeding, common problems, the benefits of nursing.
- Educational materials provided.
- $60 per couple
- Offered the first Saturday of each month from 9am-12pm